Sunday, June 21, 2009

And now, for something completely different!!!

I couldn't even say how many years it has been since I did any sewing, but it has been a long time.  More than 5 years, at least.  Well, not too long ago I was catching up on my blog reading, when I followed a link and ended up here.  I got so inspired by the lovely fabrics like this, and this, that I decided it was time for a little sewing.  

Ta Da!!!


Fabric:  Amy Butler Acanthus in Olive


Lining:  Amy Butler Coriander in Olive


Pattern:  Practical Bag by Tanya Whelan

I modified the pattern a bit, because each side of the bag is made in two pieces, sewn together down the center.  I wanted to keep the full acanthus motif on each side of the bag, so I cut it out with the center of the pattern on the fold of the fabric, which was folded down the center of the motif. (make sense?)  Because of the motif placement on the fabric, it made the bag maybe an inch or so narrower than the pattern, a small sacrifice to be able to have this lovely design complete on each side.  

I also added a pocket inside, but forgot to do it before I sewed the lining in, so I sewed it in by hand.  And last, I added a few beads and some ribbon.  I'll see how I like this last bit when I've used my new bag for a while.  It is easy to take off if I decide I don't like it.


My finished bag!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah! I love Amy Butler's bags! I don't think I've seen this one. Looks really great!

    ReplyDelete